Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Weekend Happenings


Have you ever banned someone from your house?  I have after this weekend.  Let me start from the beginning. 

It was a bright and sunny beautiful Friday afternoon, and my Mom and brother got to my house.  They were staying at our house because of a family reunion the following day.  Friday was great with a very nice visit and a nice dinner out.  I am the oldest of 7 kids, and 4 of us were able to make it for the reunion. 

Saturday, the reunion was pretty nice although I have a bit of a nervous issue with crowds.  I barely knew most of the people there, but it was neat to meet my Mom's cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.  My Mom's sister (my Aunt) and her grown kids and their kids were there, and I knew all of them.  And my cousins from my Mom's brother who had passed away were there and I knew them.  Plus, of course I knew my brother who arrived with my Mom.  Another of my brothers was also there, and I got to meet his girlfriend for the first time.  She was very nice and I think (hope) he may have found "the one".  One of my sisters also came with her kids, and her new boyfriend (he seemed nice too, but she has had so many of them.....).  I truly hope she finds "the one" some day.  My brother who wasn't staying with me came up and went home in the same day.  My sister, boyfriend, and her kids stayed at a hotel.

Saturday was a nice day catching up with the people I knew but had not seen for a long time.  I didn't get to visit with my Mom too much during the day because she was catching up with long lost relatives, etc.  It was pretty cool to meet some of her cousins who were playmates of hers she had told stories about.  One of them she had been in a fist fight with when they were kids and my Mom told me she had punched her cousin out.  That totally cracked me up.  Isn't it funny the stories you get to hear about your parents when they were kids?

Saturday night was nice.  My Mom, brother and I stayed up past midnight talking and eating pumpkin bread and junk food.  That was very enjoyable!

Sunday started as a bright and beautiful day.  We got up early and sat around the kitchen table drinking coffee and talking before my Mom and brother had to leave to go back home.  My sister, boyfriend and kids were going to come over to our house for a visit before they also had to go back home.  She actually lives right next door to my Mom and Dad.  When they arrived, my Mom and brother were still here at the house.  For quite a while we had a very pleasant visit and everyone was happy.  My husband was entertaining my sister's sons playing video games with them and talking.  After awhile my Mom and brother had to leave.  :(

Let me tell you a little bit about one of my sister's sons.  He's a brat.  As long ago as I can remember he has been a brat.  He is now 13 years old and hasn't changed.  He's still a brat.  Unfortunately he has been diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder.  My youngest son also got diagnosed with that at a very young age and was in therapy for it long ago (all is great now and he is a fine young 15 year old).  The problem with my nephew is he has basically been told nothing is his fault for a long time, and he hasn't gotten the help he needs, and he is impossible to be around.  He throws tantrums and back talks his mother.  He also did some back talking to me during the reunion (he's damned lucky I didn't pop him in the mouth because I sure wanted to). 

Anyway, I have really tried to like him.  I have been his friend on Facebook and play some of the same games with him and so I have given him little gifts in the games, talk to him via instant message, and try to boost his self esteem.  Even while he was here, the first time I saw him I told him how grown up he was getting, etc.  I wanted to have a conversation with him, but he just wanted to pout because his Mom wasn't going to let him go swimming at the hotel, and he wanted another soda pop.  I tried to explain how pools don't let you swim if you don't have proper swim attire and he said "well that's their problem". 

Today, while he was playing a video game he got really angry at it and decided to throw the controller, throw himself down on the sofa, and throw my sofa pillows onto the floor while he cried (keep in mind he's 13 years old).  It was like watching a 3 year old.  So, his Mom told him he could no longer play the video game.  His reaction to that was to whine more and then go outside and get in their car.  After several minutes he comes back in all sweaty from sitting in the car with the windows up and all upset because nobody came to check on him.  I told him I figured he wanted to be alone and he needed to calm himself down.  It was very rude for him to throw things around my living room.  So, he proceeded to back talk me and his mother.  Then, decided he would pretend to shoot my dog.  When I asked him to stop doing that he proceeded to pretend to shoot me.  When I asked him to stop doing that he said "why it's just a hand gesture", and it just blew up from there (more back and forth).  I have had it with this kid.  I told him he was a guest in my house and he was being very rude.  And he said "so".  After that of course his Mom was getting onto him.  And then I finally told him if he wanted to act like that to get out of my house.  I feel a tiny bit bad because I am a grown up and shouldn't engage in a back and forth with a kid like that, but seriously he was getting on my last nerve and I just wanted him to get the hell out.  I know it was awkward for my sister.  This kid should have been disciplined and gotten the right help long ago.  It has gone on too long with him using ODD as an excuse to act any way he wants.  Well, he can act that way somewhere else.

So, after they left I immediately un-friended him from Facebook.  I'm done with him.  If he ever acts like something other than a misbehaving 3 year old, I might try again, but as far as I'm concerned that's it.  Yes, I know that's probably my child-side coming out too, but at least I didn't throw myself down on the ground and start throwing things and crying.  I also didn't punch him out.    ;)





4 comments:

  1. Sorry you had to go through that Angie - hopefully his Mom will get him the counseling he needs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't he at least get some counseling at school? As a former Firstie teacher, I can't imagine having to deal with that kind of behavior if it happens in the classroom. The "pretending" to shoot is particularly disturbing to me. It sounds like your nephew needs help ASAP.

    I am glad you didn't pop him too . . . it must have been tempting . . . but would have made matters worse . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you handled the situation beautifully!! They will have to get him the help he needs if he is ever going to make it in life. But wasn't it nice to see everyone?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you handled it well. You don't have to take that and if they don't do something, he's not going to be welcome in a lot of places.

    ReplyDelete