Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Controversial Subject

Okay, so it's probably not the best idea to have a brand new blog where you talk about something controversial.  But, this is something that is important to me.  I'm talking about diversity in the United States and how still today it is not truly fully embrased.  I know it's a cliche saying to say "why can't we all just get along", but really, why can't we?  I will never ever understand people who don't believe we are all created equally and I have given up trying to understand it. 




All I know is that for me, I don't care what race, religion, sexual preference, food likes and dislikes, cat or dog lover, accent you speak with, and every other thing that makes us diverse, you are.  Diversity is a beautiful thing.  Embrace it people.  Man, what a boring world it would be if everybody was the same. 



Anyway, I came across a gentleman named Fredrick Wilson II who makes a whole lot of sense. Hopefully the points he makes will be taken to heart. The specific video I came across is the one I am posting a link to here in my blog.  I live in the state of Missouri, and although I am all the way across the state from Ferguson Missouri, we have all heard a lot about the protests that are going on there.  The things that have gone on there are horrible.  Protests are still going on.  It's embarrassing for my state in my opinion.  I don't understand how anybody can think it's okay to protest in such a way where you destroy property and loot businesses and just do plain ignorant things.  It's ridiculous.  Anyway, this gentleman put out a very good video where he is addressing the way some of the African American community is acting (not specific to Ferguson at all).  Notice I say "some".  That is because the vast majority of people in general are good people, but all of us have people who can make a community, race, religion, etc. look bad.  Unfortunately that is where some stereotypes come from.  In this video he is trying to steer people in the right direction in regards to their actions.  Here is a link to the video (it's only a little over 5 minutes long). 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152314396513715&set=vb.673253714&type=2&theater

Someone had shared it on Facebook, and it has been widely shared and that is how I came across it.  I think some of the things he pointed out could be applied to other people as well.  I chose to begin following his Facebook page too. 

Anyway, I saw that video of him trying to help steer people in the right direction, and then this morning on the show Sunday Morning they did a piece about a man and his family who fled here from the Middle East and the struggles that are going on over there.  It just all makes me so sad.  How many wars have to be fought in the name of "religion"?  I guess I will just never be able to understand it.  We're all people.  We're all the same in that we are made of flesh and bone.  Why should it matter what color we are, or what religion we are, or where we were born, etc.?   





I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post, and if I did I guess I just have to say "too bad".  Because this is me, and Living My Life as Me means you will see whatever might be bothering me on a particular day.  Today, it just so happens to be things like race relations and diversity and how I am sad about that right now.  I feel strongly that as a human race we need to stop the hate.  We have come a long way over the years, but we have a lot longer to go.  I will do my part by raising my kids to embrace diversity and to be an example for them and for those around me.




3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said here, and I agree that if someone is offended ... tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep . . . we all need to look in the mirror first and take responsi___bility!

    ReplyDelete