Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Lady Bugs, Skulls and Owls, Oh My!

I have this fascination with lady bugs, skulls and owls.  Do you want to know why?  Well, as for the lady bugs and owls (and butterflies too actually), it was my Grandma who was my inspiration.  But first, let me start with the skulls.  I love creepy.  Everything creepy, scary, macabre, etc.  I can't remember when it started, but I just always have.  I gravitate towards scary movies, books, TV shows, etc.  My favorite holiday is Halloween.  I love to decorate for it, and to be honest if I could, I would leave my house like that all year round.  Here is just an example:





That's the kitchen table.  Place mats, goblets, candles, the whole bit.  I even decorate the bathroom believe it or not.  I like the creepy stuff as well as some of the more rustic looks too.  This is how I like to decorate the coffee table:


I also have light up ghosts, trees, etc.  You get the idea.  My goal is to get a black artificial tree and decorate it in a Halloween theme (like a Christmas tree, but Halloween).  Those things are just crazy expensive unfortunately. Skulls though, I can have those all year round.  I have lots of shirts and jewelry with skulls on them.  Some people think skulls are evil, but I think that is just plain silly.  I am not evil.  I happen to be a very nice person who wouldn't hurt a fly (okay that's a lie, I would hurt a fly; I hate those things).





As for owls and lady bugs (and butterflies).  I think I got that from my Grandma.  My Grammy lived with us for most of the years I was growing up.  She was a very colorful lady.  I think I got my love of clothes and makeup from her too.  She always had her nails painted and wore makeup a lot of the time.  She also had an owl collection which I just loved and have carried that love throughout my life.  I was so excited when owls became "trendy" again.  It seems like they're everywhere and I love that. 


As for butterflies, I remember her having clothes with them and also her just talking about how pretty they were.  Butterflies and how colorful they are just remind me of her.  Lady bugs hold an extra special place in my heart.  My Grammy told me they were gentle little beetles, and she said that you could tell how old they were by their spots (which of course I know now is not true - but what a cool little story for a kid).  She also said they didn't bite (which also isn't true but I have never been bitten by one).  We had a special bond with the lady bugs, she and I.  Every time we would see one we would hold it and make a wish before we let it fly off. 




When I was grown and on my own I still carried those memories with me.  And, for Christmas one year I went to Michael's and bought a wooden butterfly house that was unfinished.  I painted it white, and stenciled lady bugs and flowers on it and gave it to her for Christmas.  My Grammy loved that butterfly house and kept it hanging outside until it literally fell apart.  I don't know if butterflies ever did live in it.


Several years ago cancer took my Grammy from us.  At the time she lived with my Mom and Dad which was on the other side of the state from me.  I went there for the funeral and to be with my Mom (Grammy was her mother).  This was in January.  Mom and I were sitting on her bed sharing memories and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something on the floor.  Would you believe it was a lady bug?  In January, in Missouri, where it was freezing cold with snow on the ground?  Where did it come from?  Well, I picked it up and put in on one of the plants in the house.  I had this "feeling" my Grandma sent it to us to comfort us.  You might think that is silly, or wishful thinking, but it really did comfort me.  Later that night, I went to my hotel room.  I was sitting on the bed looking at a picture of my Grammy and just kind of talking to her in my head.  Would you believe, crawling up the wall, there was a lady bug?  Well, you better believe it, because there it was!  I knew right then and there that she had sent it.  I called my Mom and was just bawling my eyes out telling her about it.  Then, I turned and it was gone.  I didn't see it again in my room.  Ever since then, every time I see a lady bug I think of my Grammy.  So, you see why they are so special?





3 comments:

  1. OMG! We have so much in common! Too bad we don't live close. Even our thought process ... look at the title of this post and then go look at my post. No kidding, I put that up and then came over here and saw yours. hahahahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammy looks and sounds like a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete